Thursday, February 16, 2012

Two months into retirement

Dec. 21, 2011 was my last day as a public educator. It's hard to believe that I've spent 25 years involved in education from Texas Tech as a dispatcher and graduate assistant to Seagraves as a computer science and journalism teacher to Lockney as the technology director. There's been lots of interesting challenges over that time, not the least was the keeping up with the ever changing world of technology.

So, two months into retirement it's time I get serious about a few things:
  1. Spend more time studying and preparing sermons and chapter studies for my church
  2. Develop my new blog: http://walkinginthenarrowway.blogspot.com/
  3. Develop my high school sports blog: http://westtexashighschoolsports.blogspot.com/
  4. Expand my high school sports website: http://www.wthssports.info/
  5. Be more consistent with my blogging on this site
  6. Find at least a part-time job to supplement my retirement
  7. And, whatever else that I need to get more serious about
Now that national signing day and the biennial UIL realignment are over, it's time to focus on the upcoming Texas Ranger and Texas Tech Red Raiders baseball seasons. Hopefully the Rangers can get back to the series for a third year in a row and then complete the job that they were so close to completing this past year. I also hope the Red Raiders can get into the college world series. They have the depth to do that this year if the injury bug doesn't bite them like it's done to the football and basketball teams.

Texas is still in the middle of a drought so we can only hope and pray that things don't get as bad as they were last year with the lack of moisture and with wildfires. I'm looking forward to following the storm chasers online as they chase around the country (if I had the time and funds, I might like to do that sometime). On Feb. 4, the storm chaser community lost one of the top young chasers, Andy Gabrielson, when a wrong way driver collide head-on with Andy near Tulsa as he was returning home following a chase in Texas. This year of chasing has been dedicated to Andy.

My closing thought for the day is: Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished: if you're alive, it isn't. -- Richard Bach

“For this is the message which you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another;” 1 John 3:11 NASB

No comments:

Post a Comment